- ½ pint raspberries
- ½ pint golden raspberries
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 3/4 pieces
- 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening, cut into ¾ Inch Pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- To make the dough in a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, salt in the bowl of the food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse to combine, add the pieces of the butter and shortening, and pulse until reduced to ½ inch pieces. Add the water a little at a time and pulse until the dough just begins to come together. Remove the dough to a work surface and shape into a 12-inch disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Working on a clean, dry, flat surface, dust the surface of the baking sheet and rolling pin with flour, roll out chilled pastry dough into a 13-inch round about ⅛ inch thick. Lift and turn the dough as necessary and dust the surface and rolling pin with flour as needed to prevent sticking. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the berries with sugar, zests, and vanilla extract. Uncover dough and transfer to a well-seasoned cast-iron griddle pan or oiled pizza pan. Pile berry mixture in the center of dough, leaving a 3-inch border uncovered. Fold the dough up and over the berries, pleating the folds, leaving the berries exposed in the center. Brush the dough with cream, sprinkle with chopped almonds, and bake for 40 minutes. Remove, let cool for 5 minutes, slice, and serve.
- If making for later use, bake, cool, and cover with plastic wrap, then refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the galette from the refrigerator, uncover, and warm in the oven for 15 minutes. It may be necessary to cover with aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning of the pastry dough.