- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut lengthwise and then into ¼" slices
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2, 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1, 14 ½-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1, 10-ounce package frozen chopped collard greens, thawed
- 2 cups Martha White Self-Rising Cornmeal Mix
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ⅓ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a 12 Inch Skillet on medium-high heat, cook the sausage, onion, and garlic until sausage is browned and onion is translucent.
- Stir in the remaining filling ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the cornbread topping ingredients; stir until smooth. Spoon the batter over sausage mixture in skillet, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes or until cornbread is browned.