- 1 cup water, heated to 110 degrees F
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten and at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup baking soda
- 4 cups water
- 1 egg, plus 1 teaspoon for egg wash
- Combine yeast, 1 cup warm water, and sugar in a stand mixer bowl with the dough hook attached. Allow yeast to bloom for 10 minutes. Add salt, butter, and eggs and mix together. Gradually add flour, ½ cup at a time.
- Knead on medium speed 5-7 minutes until dough pulls cleanly from the sides of the stand mixer. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.*
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add baking soda, mix together, and remove from heat.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Cut dough into 3 equal parts. (Use a kitchen scale to ensure accuracy.) Roll each section of dough into a long rope about 36 inches long. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Lay all 3 strands vertically on the floured surface. The left strand is strand 1. Pinch the ends of all 3 strands together at one end. Cross strand 1 over the center strand. Cross the right strand over the center strand. Repeat until you get to the end of the strands. Shape into a wreath and pinch the ends together.
- Place the braided wreath on an oiled baking pan. Brush the top of the dough with baking soda mixture, then brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Pro Tip: If proofing in the refrigerator, remove 1 hour prior to baking.