- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chilled lard, cut into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk, or as needed
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease two 12-inch cast iron skillets and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together. Add the lard and cut it in with a pastry cutter or rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture is just crumbly. Gradually stir in just enough buttermilk to form a soft ball of dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, knead about 8 times, then shape by hand into biscuits about 3 1/2 inches across and 1 inch high.
- Arrange the biscuits fairly close together in the prepared skillets and bake in the upper third of the oven until golden brown and craggy on the outsides, about 17 minutes.