1 chicken breast, boneless and skinless
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon pepper, divided
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
¾ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
¼ cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
1 800ml can fire roasted tomatoes, crushed
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups pasta of your choice
½ cup shredded mozzarella
Fresh basil, garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Butterfly the chicken breast by carefully resting your palm across the breast and using a sharp knife to cut through it horizontally, being careful not to cut all the way through; you should be able to open the breast like a book, into a butterfly shape.
- Sandwich the breast between two pieces of parchment paper and, using a rolling pin, pound the breast to a uniform 2cm thickness. Remove from parchment and season all sides with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Add flour to a shallow dish; add beaten egg to another shallow dish; in a third dish, combine breadcrumbs and ½ cup parmesan to create your chicken dredging line. Dredge the chicken in flour, shake off excess; dip in egg wash, shake off excess; dip in Panko and parmesan mixture to coat evenly.
- Add the olive oil to a 30.48Cm cast iron skillet; heat over medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Add breaded chicken breast to the oil and cook for 4-5 minutes per side. Reduce heat as needed to avoid over-browning. The crust should be golden. Once cooked, remove to a wire rack or paper towel-lined plate.
- To the same skillet, add garlic and red pepper flakes (if using), cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add canned tomatoes, basil, oregano, and remaining salt and pepper; bring to a simmer. Using a wooden spoon or fish spatula, crush tomatoes to desired texture. Reserve ½ cup red sauce.
- To the skillet, add 1 cup water and stir until incorporated. Add uncooked pasta, stirring until fully coated with sauce.
- Nestle the breaded chicken on top of the pasta and spoon reserved sauce over the top, leaving the edges unsauced for extra crisp. Top with mozzarella and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup of parmesan. Bake the skillet for 15-20 minutes; the cheese should be melted and starting to brown lightly.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh basil and serve.