- 3 ½ tablespoons butter
- 7 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 14 canned peach slices, drained
- Peach chutney, for serving
- Fresh basil, chopped, for serving
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla expert
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- ⅛ cup granualted sugar
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the topping. Place ½ tablespoon of the butter in each of the cups of a Lodge Mini Cake Pan. Place in the oven to melt, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle 2 tablespoons brown sugar evenly over the bottom of each cup. Place 2 peach slices in each cup. Set aside.
- Make the cornmeal mixture. Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Whisk together the milk, vanilla, and honey in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the butter until creamy. With the mixer running on low speed, gradually add the granulated sugar. Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg and beat well. Add half the dry mixture and beat on low speed until blended. Add the milk mixture and beat until smooth. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until smooth. Increase the speed to high and beat for 1 minute, stopping once to scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Gently spoon the batter into the cups of the pan, taking care to keep the peach slices centered and filling half way. Bake until the cakes are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Place the pan on a wire rack or Enamel Trivet to cool for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the edge of each cup. With oven mitts, carefully invert the pan onto a large plate. (Place the plate over the pan, hold them tightly together, flip them over together, and lift off the pan.) Replace any bits of the sticky glaze that might stick to the pan. Top with chutney and basil. Serve warm or at room temperature.