- 1 homemade pie crust
- 4 pounds strawberries, sliced into quarters
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Toss berries with one cup sugar and let them sit for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain the strawberries well (you can reserve the liquid for a refreshing drink!). Toss the berries with lemon juice, cornstarch, and vanilla.
- Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and roll out the larger piece of dough until it is about ⅛ inch thick. Fold it into thirds. Unfold into the skillet. Trim the edges to hang about 1 inch over the lip. Place it back in the fridge while you roll out the small piece of dough.
- Roll the small piece of dough into an oblong shape and cut it into five or six 1-1½ inch strips.
- Place strawberries in chilled crust and lattice the top with the excess dough.
- Mix egg yolk and cream with a fork and brush onto the pie dough.
- Place skillet on a sheet pan. Bake for one hour on the bottom rack, or until the crust is golden brown and the center of the filling is bubbly and thick. Cool on a wire rack or on our Enamel Trivet at least two hours before slicing.