- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- Mix together the brine ingredients until dissolved in a large pot or other container.
- Add the chicken and enough water to cover.
- Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Allow to thaw if needed.
- Combine the rub ingredients in a bowl (or use store-bought).
- Rub the entire chicken with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with the rub mixture.
- Place the chicken in a 12 Inch Skillet and smoke between 225 and 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 3.5-4 hours, until breast meat reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove to a platter, tent with foil, and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes.
Don’t own a smoker? You can transform any grill into a slow-smoking BBQ machine. The key is indirect heat and smoldering wood chips. Just place the food as far from the heat as possible, add a cast iron dish filled with hardwood chips directly on the burner or charcoal, and close that lid!