- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs (or 3 pounds boneless)
- Flour (for dusting)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 carrots, cut in 2-inch chunks
- 2 white onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- Balsamic vinegar (to taste)
- Jasmine rice, green onions (both optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Combine the spices and massage into the ribs. Place in a plastic container and refrigerate for 1 hour to overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat the canola oil in a 5 Quart Dutch Oven over medium-high heat until the oil begins to simmer (about 3-4 mins).
- Lightly dust the ribs with flour, shaking off any excess. Using tongs, sear the ribs on all sides until browned, adding more oil if needed. Do this in batches to avoid crowding the pan. Set ribs aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add carrots and onions and stir for 5-7 minutes, making sure to scrape up any flavorful brown bits* on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the garlic cloves and place the ribs (and any juices) on top of the vegetables.
- Add the broth and teriyaki until the ribs are half submerged in liquid. Cover and place in the oven for 2-3 hours, until fork tender.
- Serve over jasmine rice, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and top with chopped green onions.