- 4 strips bacon
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 1-pound packages fresh collard greens, washed well, heavy stems removed and chopped
- 1 ½ cups reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon in a cast iron Dutch oven until crisp. Remove the bacon to drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the pot. Crumble the bacon.
- Cook the carrot in the hot bacon drippings over medium-high heat, stirring a few times, for 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring a few times, until the carrot and onion begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the vinegar and cook 30 seconds. Add the collards, crumbled bacon, broth, red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the collards are tender, about 1 hour.