- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- Red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut in half
- 2 yellow bell peppers, setmmed, seeded, and cut in half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 links sweet Italian sausage
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon nonpareil capers, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons basil, roughly chopped
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Toasted brioche buns for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Season the peppers with salt and pepper and blister*, 6-7 minutes. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the peppers sweat for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin.
- Thinly slice ⅓ of the peppers and set aside. In a high-speed blender, add the remaining peppers. While the motor is running, add ¼ cup of oil. Combine the pureed pepper mixture with the sliced peppers.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and sear the sausage to a deep brown color, 10-12 minutes. Let sausage rest for 5 minutes, then slice on a bias.
- Add garlic to the same skillet and cook until fragrant, 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, capers, and pepper mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes. Place the sliced sausage on top and garnish with chopped basil. Serve sausages with toasted buns.