- 6 roma tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 serrano chili or jalapeno (remove seeds and ribs for milder sauce)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 small, 15 cm tortillas
- 1½ tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 can refried black beans
- 6 eggs
- 1 sliced avocado
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
- Blend sauce ingredients until smooth.
- Add oil to the 33x 23cm Casserole and heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and add 6 tortillas in a single layer to the bottom of the skillet. (It’s alright if they overlap.) Place the pan back in oven for 3-5 min.
- Remove from oven and spoon half the sauce over the tortillas and cover with a layer of cheese. Spread 1 can of refried beans and another layer of cheese. Finish with 6 remaining tortillas and the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add 6 eggs. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the whites are set. Divide sliced avocado over the top of the dish (avoiding the egg yolks), season with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Dress it up with 1 pound of crumbled chorizo or bacon.
- Slice two additional tortillas into thin strips. Preheat a skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes with ¼ cup canola oil. Fry tortillas until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and add to the top of the casserole.