- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons (plus one teaspoon) unsalted butter, divided
- 20 small pieces of candy, about 1/4 to 1/2″ squares. Our favorites include mini peanut butter cups and pieces of salted caramel!
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Crack egg whites into a separate bowl and set aside. Add yolks to a measuring cup with 2% milk, buttermilk, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Beat lightly.
- Add milk mixture to dry mixture and fold together with a spatula until hydrated- some lumps are okay!
- Preheat cast iron aebelskiver pan over medium for 3 minutes. Medium works well for electric stoves, but use medium-low for gas ranges.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into the rest of the batter.
- Place ¼ teaspoon cold butter into three molds, then fill them with 1 tablespoon batter. Drop candy in as soon as possible, then cover with another 1 tablespoon of batter. Repeat with remaining four molds.
- Cook over medium about 4 minutes on the first side, then flip Ebelskivers carefully with a knife or chopsticks when the edges are golden and there are plenty of bubbles on top. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes on the second side.
- Serve immediately with powdered sugar or chocolate syrup.