- 3 shallots, peeled and divided
- 2 cups olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons divided
- 1 mini seedless watermelon, sliced in 1 ½ inch-thick wheels
- 3 cups arugula, packed
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup basil leaves, torn
- ½ cup mint leaves, torn
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Slice 2 shallots crosswise into thin rings. In a small saucepan, heat 2 cups of oil to 350 degrees F. Continuously stir the shallots in oil until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer the fried shallots onto a paper towel-lined dish, season with salt and cool completely.
- Cut the watermelon wheels into wedges. In a preheated round grill pan, grill in batches until marks appear, 2-3 minutes per side. Let cool. Cut off the rind and chop.
- Thinly slice the remaining shallot lengthwise. In a large bowl, mix the raw shallot, grilled watermelon, arugula, feta, basil, mint and remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Garnish the salad with the fried shallots and serve.