- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- ¾ cup plain whole milk yogurt
Toasted Garlic Butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- For the dough, combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle. Mix until the dough is combined; it will be soft and a little bit sticky. Knead the dough with the paddle for 5 minutes at low speed. Remove the paddle, cover and let the dough rise for 45 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 pieces, round each into a ball, cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to cook.
- For the butter, while the dough rises, put all of the ingredients into a cast iron melting pot or small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter separates and foams; simmer until the garlic cloves just begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- To bake the bread, stretch the dough into an oblong. Drape it over your floured hand and down your wrist into a teardrop shape. Place the dough over the hottest part of your grill. When you see the edges start to bubble up (about 2 to 3 minutes), turn the bread over and cook the second side until it has some charred spots. Remove the bread from the grill and hold warm.
- To bake in the oven, preheat the oven with a baking stone or cast iron grill pan in it to 500°F. Place the breads on the hot surface one or two at a time and bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and repeat until all are baked.
- Brush the warm bread with melted toasted garlic butter.