- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Crisco
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- Combine milk, sugar, and water in a microwave safe bowl and mix well. Microwave at 30 second intervals until the mixture is between 105 degrees and 109 degrees F. Mix in the yeast and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Combine the milk mixture with 1 ½ cups of flour and 1 tablespoon shortening and beat until smooth. Add the salt and remaining flour. Continue to beat until dough pulls from the sides of the bowl.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover. Allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
- Remove dough to a floured work surface and roll to ½ inch thick. Using a small glass jar lid or biscuit cutter, cut muffins into rounds. Sprinkle with cornmeal and allow to rise for 30 minutes, or freeze until ready to use. *
- Gradually heat griddle over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Spray with cooking spray and griddle the muffins for 8-10 minutes per side or until lightly browned. If using frozen dough, remove from freezer and place in a warm spot for 30 minutes prior to griddling.
Pro Tip: Frozen dough will keep for up to 1 month.