- 4 pounds catfish fillets, cut in half
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 quarts vegetable oil
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet and spicy relish
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Season all sides of catfish with salt and pepper. Place in a bowl and coat with buttermilk. Refrigerate while prepping other ingredients.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, black pepper, salt, and cayenne.
- While heating oil over medium heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, combine all ingredients for tartar sauce. Mix and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Remove catfish from buttermilk and allow extra to drip off. Dip catfish pieces one at a time into the flour mixture and shake off excess.
- Fry the catfish for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown, turning halfway through. Allow catfish to drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.
Pro tip: When you add oil to the fish pan, fill it no more than halfway up the side of the pan because when you add food to the oil, the level will rise.