- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup turbinado sugar
- 6 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon allspice, ground
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom, ground
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cubed, plus more for greasing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk cranberries, 1 cup buttermilk, and egg. Set aside for later.
- Separately whisk flour, sugar, sesame seeds, baking powder, allspice, cardamom, and salt until fully incorporated.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into the flour mixture to pea-sized pieces. Add to the wet ingredients until a dough forms. If the dough is too crumbly to hold together, add more buttermilk, one tablespoon at a time until the dough just comes together when pressed.
- Divide the dough amongst the wedges of a greased scone pan. Bake until edges are golden brown, 15-17 minutes.
- Let scones sit for 5-10 minutes, then gently flip the pan to release the scones. Cool on wire rack before serving.