- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 8 6-inch bamboo skewers, cut in half
- Whisk soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and rice wine vinegar together in a small sauce pot. Heat marinade to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer marinade for 15 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Place chicken in a sealable bag or bowl and cover with half the marinade. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Layer the chicken and asparagus on the skewers, alternating between the two.
- Gradually preheat the grill pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Brush the skewers with sesame oil and sprinkle with salt. Cook the skewers in batches, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Return the skewers to the pan, brush with reserved marinade, and place in the oven for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Serve immediately.