- 1 cup Masoor daal â yellow lentils
- 1 cup Toor daal â pink lentils
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup tomato, diced
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Spicewalla mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon Spicewalla cumin seed
- 2 Spicewalla red chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, diced
- 1 teaspoon Spicewalla ground turmeric
- ¼ cup oil
- Combine both lentils in a 6 Quart Dutch Oven and rinse 5-6 times, until water runs clear. Drain and add 4 cups of water, tomatoes and onions.
- Salt and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a low boil. Cook until lentils have completely broken down and are fully cooked, around 20-30 minutes. If the mixture seems too thick, add water.
- Heat oil in a small cast iron skillet until nearly smoking. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop for a few seconds, then, add cumin and red chili peppers. Let sputter for a few more seconds.
- Immediately add the garlic and ginger. Cook until slightly brown. Add turmeric and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour tadka into cooked daal. Allow to cook for a few additional minutes. Check for salt and consistency. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve as a soup or over rice.