- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ½ cups bread flour, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1.4 lt vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 6 cups milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Combine milk and water and warm to 40 degrees C.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk in the sugar and mix in the yeast, set aside 15 minutes.
- Beat together the egg, salt, butter, and 1 cup of flour. Gradually add the remaining 2 ½ cups and beat until dough pulls cleanly from the sides of the stand mixer.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Shape into a ball and place in a well-oiled bowl. Cover with a damp dish towel and set in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Gradually heat 1.5 quarts of vegetable oil in a dutch oven or deep skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 375 degrees F. Roll the dough into a rectangle on the floured work surface about ¼-inch thick. Cut the dough into 2 inch squares using a pizza cutter.
- In batches, fry beignets for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown. Drain beignets on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Working in batches, shake powdered sugar and beignets in a paper bag to coat. Sprinkle with more powdered sugar. Serve warm.
- Heat heavy cream until almost boiling.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is uniform.