- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 12 ounces broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 5 dates, pits removed, chopped
- ½ to 1 cup water
- 12 ounces wild salmon, pin bones and skin removed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss red onion and broccoli in mixing bowl with ¼ cup oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking dish and roast red onion until caramelized and broccoli is bright green, 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a sauté pan. Add tomato paste and cook until caramelized, 5-8 minutes. Add dates and cook down, 5 minutes.
- Add ⅓ of the roasted onion and tomato paste mixture to a high-speed blender. Blend and, while the motor is running, stream in ¼ cup oil. Thin out the mixture with water until it reaches barbecue sauce consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat the salmon with a thick layer of barbecue sauce and lay it on top of the broccoli and onion mixture. Roast until salmon reaches medium-rare doneness, 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve.