- 8 Pink Lady apples, peeled, quartered, cores removed
- 1 tablespoon (plus ¼ teaspoon) salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup (plus 2 tablespoons) coconut sugar, divided
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a colander, season the apples with 1 tablespoon salt and let sit for 30 min.
3. In a 10 inch skillet, melt the butter. Mix in ⅔ cup coconut sugar until a sludge forms. Snuggly nestle apple wedges into the pan and cook over medium-high heat for 20 minutes. As apples cook down, add more if there is room. Reduce heat and continue to cook until apples are very soft, 10-15 minutes.
4. Lightly dust kitchen surface with flour, and roll out dough ⅛ inch thick; cut a circle slightly larger than the skillet. Lay the dough over the apples and tuck the pastry into the skillet. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
5. While tarte bakes, make the whipped cream: In a mixing bowl, whisk heavy cream, remaining 2 tablespoons coconut sugar and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt to medium peak consistency.
6. Remove the skillet from oven, cool for 5-10 minutes, then flip the skillet over onto a serving platter. Slice, and serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.